Former Ivory Coast rebel leader Guillaume Soro fined $7m in absentia

Guillaume Soro, who has been a rebel leader and prime minister, was accused of buying a house with public money.

Soro denied the allegations and his lawyers boycotted the trial, denouncing it as a way to exclude him from October’s election, reports Reuters.

Soro was sentenced to 20 years in jail and fined $7.6m (£6.1m).

His property in the commercial capital, Abidjan, was confiscated and he was also barred from civic duties for five years.

The verdict was announced after a trial that lasted only a few hours, adds Reuters. Soro was not present as he lives in exile in France.

The former rebel leader has also been accused of plotting a coup against President Alassane Ouattara, who is due to leave office later this year.

Soro was once an ally of Mr. Ouattara that He commanded a rebel force that backed the current president in his fight against President Laurent Gbagbo, who refused to accept he had lost the 2010 elections.

Soro still retains the loyalty of former rebel commanders who now hold senior positions within the military, reports BBC Africa editor Mary Harper.

Source: BBC

3 Likes

We used to say the evil that men do lives after them but this days, it doesn’t only live after them but it also lives with them.

I know those who have eyes have seen what I’ve written.

4 Likes

This is a very good punishment and it should serve as a warning to all African leaders… every development seeking country must start sentencing the leaders who use public money for their own advancement… #SentenceThemAll.

I wonder why this man still walks freely in Ghana…

4 Likes

As for Wayome, his is having so many links with the two biggest political parties.

4 Likes

Woyome is political fianancier hence no political party can bring him to book.
He’s money enters both NDC and Npp

5 Likes

@Wuni_Solomon I perfectly agree with you; Woyome is part of the establishment so he is immune to any political witch-hunting.

4 Likes

But I think Soro’s case is different from Woyome; Woyome is a mear scammer while Soro’s is being witched-hunted.

4 Likes

But Soro guy is he, not the same guy who led the rebels to overthrow Gbagbo?

4 Likes

Moreover, let us take a second look at Soro’s case. He was a prime minister under Alassane Ouattara’s regime and he decided to defect and form his own party. So I think Alassane is doing this to discourage him from contesting.

4 Likes

Exactly what prevails in our Ghana…

5 Likes

Alassane should be very careful because this is the very same guy who brought him into office. You don’t bite the hand that feeds you.

5 Likes

I agree with you @NiiAyiBontey Woyome is part of the establishment.

3 Likes