Who is the woman on the Ghana 50 pesewas coin?

I have been confronted with this question by most of the folks in my community for so many times. Actually, I thought the image is just an art work but recently, my younger brother also asked me the same question so have decided to throw the question to my fellow 1plusall members for answers.

2 Likes

Historians and public information have recognized the woman as Rebecca Naa Dedei Ayitey (aka Dedei Ashikishan).

Naa Dedei used to be a feminist and political activist who was once famous for being a pioneering Chief Financier of Nkrumah’s Convention People’s Party (CPP).

Born in 1923, Naa Dedei was the first daughter to Ataa Ayitey from Osu and Ga (Asere). She grew up in Ga (British Accra) prior to Independence and after her fundamental training ventured into flour business.

By age 30, she was the queen of flour (Ashikishan) in the whole of Accra and the entire country.

Naa Dedei was once rich and owned a big residence in Kokomlemle and later grew to become the ‘Market Mammie’ of Accra’s Makola market.

The rich business lady was additionally a dedicated politician and passionately campaigned for and funded the CPP to win in the Ashiedu Keteke, the nerve centre of the Ga-Dangme Confederacy.

This victory was quintessential to Kwame Nkrumah’s probabilities of being the Prime Minister of Ghana as this would have been not possible if he had lost.

She was the leader of the market ladies who have been mobilised by Gbedemah as the spine off the CPP.

However, her existence came to an abrupt end after she allegedly died from food poisoning at the party’s programe at Ho in the Volta region.

Dedei Ashikishan was a single lady with no kids. There had been reports that Kwame Nkrumah was noticed crying ‘like a baby’ in the cemetery when. she was buried.

When double-decker buses were introduced to Accra, they were named ‘Auntie Dedei’

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-10 at 12.03.45 AM (2)

2 Likes

Rest in peace Naa Dedei

2 Likes

Wow

1 Like

:+1: